Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Rachel and Megan Ramble About Black Heart

Black Heart by Holly Black
From Goodreads: Cassel Sharpe knows he’s been used as an assassin, but he’s trying to put all that behind him. He’s trying to be good, even though he grew up in a family of con artists and cheating comes as easily as breathing to him. He’s trying to do the right thing, even though the girl he loves is inextricably connected with crime. And he’s trying to convince himself that working for the Feds is smart, even though he’s been raised to believe the government is the enemy.

But with a mother on the lam, the girl he loves about to take her place in the Mob, and new secrets coming to light, the line between what’s right and what’s wrong becomes increasingly blurred. When the Feds ask Cassel to do the one thing he said he would never do again, he needs to sort out what’s a con and what’s truth. In a dangerous game and with his life on the line, Cassel may have to make his biggest gamble yet—this time on love.


Megan: I'll start the only way I know how to, by saying that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Curse Workers Series. White Cat and Red Glove are both filled with mystery, cons, and a bunch of twists that you will never see coming. If you haven't read this series, you should start NOW. Just drop everything and start reading! Trust me, you won't regret it.

Rachel: I totally agree. The Curse Workers books are absolutely amazing. I have yet to encounter someone who doesn't like these books. Holly Black is a genius, basically, and I don't think she is capable of writing something that is not good. So obviously, I had really high expectations for Black Heart.

Megan: Oh of course! There was so much leading into this book, and a ton of loose ends for Holly to tie up in this book. Plus, I already knew that even if the ending was perfect, I'd be sad that one of my favorite series was over. BUT THIS BOOK WAS SO PERFECT OMG. I loved everything about it! And CASSEL. I LOVE CASSEL SO MUCH!


Rachel: The ending is perfect! As sad as I am that this series is over, I could not imagine a better ending. And Cassel! Yes. I love him. He's one of my favorite main characters ever. He's so smart and kind of good but also kind of bad and he comes up with the most epic plans. Reading the book, I always feel like I'm about eight steps behind him because he's just so much smarter than me. But I love that I never see all the twists and turns coming. It makes the book so suspenseful and mysterious and awesome.


Megan: I completely agree! The great thing is you can tell when Cassel is up to something, but you can never figure out what it is. Then A WHOLE BUNCH OF BAD STUFF HAPPENS, and you find out Cassel had a plan for the ending the entire time. He's kind of a genius. Another amazing character? Lila! I love her, and I love the relationship that she has with Cassel. They're adorable even when they are fighting.

Rachel: To be honest, I have a bit of a crush on Lila. I'M STRAIGHT THOUGH, I SWEAR. I guess it's just because we read the book through Cassel's point of view, and he has a crush on Lila, so the reader has a crush on Lila. Nope? Just me? Okay then.


Megan: Lol sometimes it just randomly hits me how weird you are. You would think I would be used to it by now. But whatever. There are a ton of changing relationships between the characters in this book, which was just another way to keep you guessing. I never knew what was going to happen until the very last page. And then I wanted to start reading all over again!

Rachel: Exactly. This series is something I can read over and over and over and I will never get bored.

Megan: Same here. I hope Holly Black decides to write more stories in this world, because I'd really love to read them!


Rachel: Definitely. I might have to start writing fan fiction for this series because I just never want it to end :).
If you have not read The Curse Workers books, PLEASE GO READ THEM NOW. Seriously. Pretty much my favorite series EVER. I promise you won't be disappointed. And if you've read Black Heart, what did you think? Did you like the ending as much as we did? TELL US EVERYTHING. *points at comment section* *smiles creepily*

No comments:

Post a Comment