Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Entwined

Entwined by Heather Dixon
From Goodreads:
Confined to their dreary castle while mourning their mother's death, Princess Azalea and her 11 sisters join The Keeper, who is trapped in a magic passageway, in a nightly dance that soon becomes nightmarish.

Let me start this by saying that I am not a fan of princesses or dancing or palaces or fairytales. I'm just not into it. I guess it's too girly for me or something? I don't even know. But...

BUT I REALLY LOVE THIS BOOK.

I've had this book for maybe a year at this point, just sitting on my shelf all lonely and waiting to be read. It never caught my attention enough to sit down and read it. But I've been working on reading all the unread books I own lately, so I finally picked this up.

And I could not put it down!

This book is based on the story of the twelve dancing princesses. So, naturally, there are princesses with fancy shmancy dresses and dancing slippers flouncing around in their palace. Not something I would normally enjoy. But this book SUCKED ME IN AND I COULDN'T STOP READING IT. Seriously. I sat down to read a few pages, and the next time I looked up, I was halfway done. I was utterly captivated by this book.

The main character Azalea is the oldest of twelve sisters. YES, TWELVE. IT'S CRAZY. When their mother passes away, the girls are forced into a mourning period. Basically, the mourning period involves wearing black clothes, staying indoors, and NOT DANCING. They can deal with the clothes and the staying indoors part, but the dancing? It's a bit of a deal breaker. You see, that's what these girls do. They dance. Their mother always danced with them, and she would never have forbidden them to do the thing they loved.

So the girls find a magical secret passage in their room which leads to a magical pavilion where they can dance every night in secret and nobody will know. Except, this pavilion is guarded by this weird guy named Keeper (side note: I like to refer to him as CREEPER, because I think it fits nicely) and he may or may not be evil.

This book has magic and dancing and romance (oh my the romance!) and drama and action and suspense and it is absolutely perfect. The world this book takes place in is so beautiful, and I wish I could live in this book. I also wish I was a good dancer. Because really. I am so jealous of the sisters' dancing skills!

Entwined is about a family that is broken, and the struggle to fix it. It's about the bond that is shared between sisters. This story is absolutely magical, and you should read it now. Even if you hate princesses and dancing and fairytales, I still think you will like this book. Entwined is truly something special.

-Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Dude. You make this sound SO good. I might just have to go put it on hold despite the piles and piles of library books I currently have checked out :P

    ReplyDelete